Saturday, August 18, 2012

Stranger in Moscow


I definitely feel like a stranger in Moscow...I spent mere 24 hours in the Capitol of Russia and from everything that I have experienced, I do not feel like this is my favorite city in the world. Of course this may be because of my latest experience here and perhaps I am exaggerating at this moment, but the last couple of hours made me associate this place with less than desirable destination...although, I have to note, my first half of the 24-hour-experience was enlightening. So, I choose to remember only the best and take away with me the better memories of Moscow.

It is so interesting how something negative can erase the positive impressions. Perhaps the lesson in all this is to be more selective. See, I realized that my time is a lot more valuable than I thought. I mean, we all consider our time valuable, but when you only have hours to dedicate to an experience the 'bad apples' become more obvious.

Last night God was gracious to me and He blessed me with fellowship of another believer who, living in the Big Apple needed to hear it from a sister in Christ that He is alive and well. So, the Lord used our encounter and our fellowship to answer my new friend's request and provide encouragement and hope as well as using him to speak into my life by giving clear confirmation to what God has already been revealing to me over the past week. 

However, the enemy does not want to rest. It is clear and obvious how that snake operates: he waits for me to be tired, lacking almost 48 hours of sleep to plan his scheme. Ha! I can see you from a mile away, Satan!

So, here I am, back in the center of Moscow returning for a hot breakfast to the cozy Sushi Palace, which s one of the very few affordable and decent places in a convenient location that stays open 24 hours. I get in and go back to where I was sitting previously. As I sit down there is a group of young people, very friendly and nice, politely introducing themselves and invite me to sit along, which did not seem like a bad idea since the table are kind of all sort of close together anyway. So, I politely joined. 

We all got to talk and everyone introduced themselves, lots of laughter. Very quickly we all discovered that we had one thing in common - none of us had gotten any sleep last night, oh, and almost everyone was new to the group. Apparently, it was one of those things where as people came in to sit at the nearby tables all got to join and form new friendships - a phenomenon that is not new to melting pots of travelers such as Moscow.

One thing was a bit different for me, though...I was the only one sober. But that's cool, I am not hard to get along with and all I wanted to do is get some Green Cactus tea that I enjoyed the night before along with some miso soup and perhaps a humble inside out Salmon sushi roll. 

At first everything was as one would expect: common questions of 'Where are you from?' and 'How long are you here for' mixed with other friendly chatter. Once everyone was comfortable enough they became more loose as to the topics of conversation. Add a bit of alcohol and worldly thinking into the mixture - you get the perfect recipe for foul language and vulgar, raw expressions of thought. I really thought I could block it out and change topics directed to me and still remain polite and true to my convictions, making the person on the other end of conversation understand where I stand, without judgement. A the and of the day, perhaps the could have been a chance that God would use these moments to shine through, right? Wrong...not when everyone is under the influence...

Still, I maneuvered well and stayed on course until my meal was paid for and I decided to release myself from the company of my new acquaintances...

The thing is, t was not until I retired and went on my own marry way that I felt as if someone had literally spit into my soul. Since when have I become so sensitive? I prayed and it was challenging to keep my thoughts and feelings at bay. I hated it! I hated the minutes spent entertaining and being a part of any of those conversations even though I was not agreeing but being present to listen to some of that filth. I hated the world and everything that was not of the Lord. I kept reminding myself that I MUST not judge, that I must still love the unlovable...but I hated the most recently acquired experience. I did not hate the people, don't get me wrong...I hated the enemy that I could see with my naked eye all over it and it was stealing my joy. Through prayer I requested, begging the Lord to erase the whole thing out of my memory...gladly jumping on the subway train, thinking 'Get me out of this city!'........

As I ride the Aeroexpress back to Sheremetevo airport, still praying as I lay these thoughts out on these lines of my iPad notebook app , I am feeling better. 

The enemy does not sleep, but he will not steal my joy, not will he gain any territory at my expense. There is no place for that in the place where only Christ can dwell. The chains our broken and once again I claim victory by the power of His name! I am at peace and grateful :)

1 comment:

  1. Great article. This is very encouraging that you are surviving and holding fast to you convictions.

    I do hope that you do not have any more troublesome experiences though.

    Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete