Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Transformers (not what you think...)

So, I get back to my hotel room after a day by the pool, which is right next to my hotel (the pools is huge!) and discover that the transformer actually works! All my devices died all at the same time two days ago and I tried using the transformer, which I purchased at the Miami airport in hopes of documenting my trip...but that was unsuccessful :( no matter how much I tried there was no sign of power getting to my iPad nor iPod...for those of you wondering why I need a transformer: in Erope and Russia the voltage is different (220v, whereas in the US and the Bahamas it is 110v and the transformer converts the voltage)...So, all my gadgets were dead and I thought that this was the end of my picture-taking, music-playing and blog-writing joys, at least while in Paris...I was praying that God would lead me and allow me to find a way to charge at least the camera so that I would be able to make videos of my grandmother. I was totally ok with not being able to take pictures for the rest of my time here in Paris as long as I could make memories of my dear grandma!

I guess one thing I should mention is that on Sunday I was hanging out at "Champs de Élysées" watching 'Le tour de France' (which is the biggest cycling event - as big as the World Cup! People flew in just for that, like my flight companion, Scott, who told me all about it on the plane as we flew in - Thank You Scott!). Here is where I should probably give a shout out to my ne wfriend from Morocco - Yassine - it was great hanging out these past two days. Great to have someone who speaks the same language :)...by the way, 'Champs de Élysées' is a famous street here in Paris - Google it!

So, as we walked through the famous street with thousands of people and super expensive designer stores, we saw a store that had transformers for sale...one of them was €59.00 (which is like $71.00!!!). There is no way I was going to dish out this kind of money for a transformer...I mean, I could go to Disney Paris which would get me on all the rides for that amount! Besides, I already spent $20.00 for a transformer in Miami that was not working making me think that it was not a transformer at all but a simple adapter (because they had some at the store that looked exactly like the one I had and they were not transformers).

So, back to my story...I was not expecting to have my gadgets back, not until I got to Moscow or Kabarovs where I was going to make my next attempt to find something that worked at a lesser cost...I kept praying about it, thinking that this is not so bad, I get to read and write, spend time with the Lord without distractions...it was going really great! I was even able to squeeze some juice out of my iPod for my Hillsong, David Crowder and Jesus Culture fix! Things were great :)

I have to incert this one thing - another fact about Paris that I find crazy! There is hardly any Internet in public places and cafes...you would have to go to McDonalds or Starbucks and I only saw one of each in all my walking abouts...and in order to make a call you HAVE to have a phone card or a cell phone...no other way of just picking up a phone somewhere and calling locally...there - I said it!

Now I am in my room and something tells me to check the transformer to which my iPad was plugged into all night without any sign of being charged...I check it and sure enough it says 110v->220v...I take out the fuse and fiddle with it, put it back...take my iPod and plug it into the wall through the USB port on the transformer and...VOILA!!! It works! I guess I do get the remaining trip captured on film...better yet - the memories of my grandmother and my time with her are safe!!! Praise the Lord!

- added bonus: writing my blog once again becomes possible (along with Skype!)
- personal effort and stress that was spent on making it work: 1 %
- knowing that God is good and more than able: PRICELESS!

1 comment:

  1. Hey mama I am thankful all worked out so far. I try to comment on the second blog you wrote, but it keeps sticking so I had to abandon it. Glad to get this one through. Following your blog, you are in my prayers. Love you keep safe.Mynz

    ReplyDelete